Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Live to work versus work to live...

So, I just got out of a couple of extremely long days at work and cannot help but blog about this once again. Life as a working momma is SO challenging.  I know many of you can relate.

How do I balance work & life?   How do you not feel guilty knowing that you can only see your little one for a couple of hours at night during the work week?  Why am I always rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off? These are honestly questions I ask myself every. single. day.  

Pre-baby work defined me.  I was a work-a-holic, and easily put in 60 hours a week. I lived to work.  Was it healthy? Probably not, but I did it.  I stayed late, worked on the weekends, and was always on my work email. The weird thing was I can honestly say I enjoyed it.

Fast forward 7 1/2 months-my focus has completely changed. Why?  Well, because of little Ms. E. and Mr. A. This is an adjustment for me and those that know me.  I now want to work to live.  Will I still give my 110% at work?  Absolutely. Will I have to work extra hours, nights, and some weekends? Of course. Will I always be a working momma?  Without a doubt!  But, will I live to work? Nope, nada, not going to do it.  Why?  Because my time with my family is far too precious.  

This is such a change from the past. Turning my work brain off when I leave the office is tough.  I find myself feeling the need to check my email & work those extra hours, but I refuse to let myself put work before my family.  Time is passing by too quickly, and I need to regain my focus and prioritize.  

The other day at Target I walked by the book section and noticed a book called "The Happiness Project."  



It is all about making the most of your life and focusing on what really matters.  The author dedicated a year to her happiness plan. I am really excited to start reading this book!  So, anticipate to read more updates on my own "Happiness Project!"



1 comment: